Tuesday 15 September 2009

September is the new January


I love September, to me it feels more like a new year than January, here’s an idea, maybe we could start a campaign on Facebook to change it. After coming out of summer I’m ready for routine, well at least getting the kids of to bed at a set time. I have a little more energy, probably all that Vitamin D stored up from all the sunshine we had here in Ireland over the last two months. There’s a visual and atmospheric change also about September which is another huge argument for making it the New Year; the colour in trees, the light in the day getting shorter, the crisper cooler evenings and seeing your breath on an early morning.


In September I do more evaluation of my life than I probably do in January; what do I need to change? Add? Or more often the case, get shot of? During September and October at the Vineyard we are taking a journey, a journey of spiritual renewal, looking at spiritual health. All of us have areas in our lives that we need health in. Paul said this “It seems to be a fact of life that when I want to do what is right I inevitably do what is wrong. There is something else deep within me, my lower nature, (sin nature) that is at war with my mind and wins the fight.” Rom. 7:21, 23 (LB). Sound familiar? Yesterday I was exhausted, planned an early night, ended up watching two back to back’s of Ramsey’s ‘Hell’s Kitchen’ and hitting the sack after midnight.


Read these words of Henry Thoreau and then take four minutes to watch the video below.

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...to put to rout all that was not life; and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
~Henry David Thoreau



No comments: