Wednesday 11 April 2007

Smile

My easter message this year didn't come from a daily reading or a particular text I was studying but it came by watching my 6 year old son, Matthew playing out in the back garden in the sunshine. He loves life and loves freedom, I could and do learn so much from him, how he enjoys life. It left me thinking do I celebrate the life I've been given?

Mark 2: 18 – 20
Now John's disciples and the Pharisees were fasting. Some people came and asked Jesus, "How is it that John's disciples and the disciples of the Pharisees are fasting, but yours are not?" Jesus answered, "How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast.

I think the question was really, how come you guys are having way too much fun, the people watching him are not having fun, they're not really enjoying life, and I wonder did they think that if God is there then people should be miserable. Jesus is saying life with me is a party.

"How can the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? They cannot, so long as they have him with them. But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them, and on that day they will fast. Jesus was alluding to His death but this lasted three days.

Shouldn't we act like Jesus is alive that He is among the living? Celebrate the life that you’ve been given. I find it kind of strange that one of the things Jesus did right after His resurrection was to sit on a beach and have breakfast with his disciples, surely there was so much more He could have done. Maybe Jesus knew how to enjoy life.

Is your life enjoyable? Smile!

No comments: